1 19oz can gungo peas (pigeon peas) or kidney beans
• 2 cups coconut milk
• 2 green onions, chopped
• 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
• 1/2 tsp dried thyme
• 1/2 tsp kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 2 cups long grain white rice
• 1 tbsp butter
1. In a large measuring cup, combine the liquid from the canned peas with the coconut milk. Add more water if necessary to make 31/2 cups of liquid. Pour the liquid into a large saucepan and add the peas, green onions, hot pepper, thyme, salt and black pepper. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for 3 minutes.
2. Add the rice and butter; stir the pot once. Don’t burst the pepper! Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the water has completely evaporated and the rice is cooked. If the rice is not tender after the water evaporates, add 2-4 tbsp of water, cover and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
Serve hot and enjoy!